GNVQ Advanced Leisure and Tourism
World-wide Travel Destinations
The major overseas destinations for UK tourists (short-haul) are
Ask the students
The major overseas destinations for U.K tourists (Long-Haul) are
Ask the students
2nd Commonwealth Caribbean
5th Middle East
Give Maps out to students
Situated in South-Western Europe, it has borders with Portugal, France and Andorra. Its Northern Coastline fronts the Bay of Biscay, while the Southern Coastal resorts are bathed by the warmer waters of the Mediterranean Sea.
Spain is the most popular holiday destination with British Tourists, who enjoy the warm climate and attractions of its Mediterranean coastline at resorts along the Costa Brava, Costa Dorada, Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol, as well as its other coastal areas. Interior Spain is also becoming more popular with Madrid (Capital) attracting both long-stay tourists and those on short breaks from the UK
There are six main tourist areas in Spain
Ask the students if they know what these are
1) Mediterranean Spain - Well known tourist areas include Costa Brava, Costa Dorada and Costa Blanca. Most major tour operators offer package holidays to these areas notably Lloret de Mar, Tossa de Mar, Salou, Sitges, Benidorm, Calpe and Javea.
2) Southern Spain - Well known tourist areas include Costa del Sol, such as Torremolinos, Marbella, Fuengirola and Nerja, stretching East along the Mediterranean from Gibraltar , and the Costa de la Luz on the Atlantic shores of Southern Spain.
3) Green Spain - North-West region of the country fronting the Bay of Biscay. This is the 'Green Tourism' destination in Spain and it includes Wooded Valleys and Lush Meadows.
4) Inland Spain - The cities of Spain i.e Madrid, Zaragoza, Seville, Pamplona, there is often interest in the variety of historic buildings within Spain.
5) The Balearic Islands - Warm climate and picturesque beaches. The four main Balearic Islands are Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza and Formentera. The main resorts in Majorca are Magaluf, Palma Nova, Santa Ponsa, Cala d'or, Alcudia and Puerto Pollensa. Menorca is recognised as being a quieter resort than Majorca, the main resorts within Menorca are Cala Galdana, S'Algar and Santo Tomas. Ibiza has resorts ranging from the lively San Antonio in the West of the Island, there are quieter resorts in the North and South including Playa d'en Bossa and Puerto San Miguel. Formentera is a small, uncrowded island with access from Ibiza by ferry.
6) The Canary Islands - The Canary Islands comprise of seven different Islands
La Palma, Tenerife, Gomera, Hierro, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura and Lanzarote.
The Canary Island are a popular Winter sun destination for UK based tourists. Tenerife is the biggest of the Islands and has two main resorts these being Porta de la Cruz and Playa de las Americas.
Mainly by air. Ferry travel is also possible. There are also coaches from the U.K to Spain.